What Gender and Ethnicity Data Does EMA Collect on Its Platforms?
August 4, 2022
August 4, 2022
Parents and students are able to share more specific demographic information with schools when creating their account on the EMA family portal using the following fields:
- Parent and Student Pronouns
- Sex at Birth
- First Language
- Faith-Based Affiliations
Options also include the ability to self-select their school-gender preferences and feel better represented in SAO applications, SSAT and Snapshot reporting, and the Student Prospect Lists.
EMA collects the following demographic information:
- Parent and Student Pronouns — Select the parent’s and student’s preference from a pre-set list of pronouns such as “She/Her/Hers,” “He/Him/His”, and “They/Them/Theirs”; if the preferred option is not available, choose “My Preferred Pronouns” and complete the subsequent “My Preferred Pronouns” field.
- First Language — Select the language the student learned first, often their most fluent, to help schools prepare for conversations with your family.
- Sex at Birth — Select the sex listed on the student’s birth certificate or government records.
- Gender — Select the gender that the student currently identifies with from Female, Male, Self Identify, or indicate that you Prefer Not to Respond. If “Self Identity” is selected an open text field will appear for you to provide more detail if desired.
- Race — Per the U.S. Census, select the race that best reflects the student’s identification with one or more social groups out of the following options: American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, Black or African American, Multiracial, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, White, Other, or indicate that you Prefer Not To Respond. Selecting Other will allow you to indicate your Race via an open text field.
- Ethnicity — Per the U.S. Census, ethnicity is collected to recognize whether a person is of Hispanic origin; Hispanic or Latino refers to a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or any other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race. Select the ethnicity that best describes the student’s geographic and cultural origins out of the following options: Hispanic or Latino, Not Hispanic or Latino, or indicate that you Prefer Not To Respond.
- School Gender Preferences: Select all of the school gender types (all-girls, all-boys, coed) that the student is interested in attending. This information is collected to align students with schools matching their preferences through the SSAT, Character Skills Snapshot, Standard Application Online, and get-connected email service.
Was this helpful?